Midterm elections present voters with decisions on several key issues

Zara Mian '25, School Staff

From the continuous television ads featuring political candidates to the numerous campaign signs planted in yards and along roadways, reminders of the upcoming midterm elections are plentiful for Greenhills community members.

With the midterm elections less than a month away, mail in voting is already in full swing. In addition to electing local, state and federal candidates, Michigan voters will be asked to vote on three ballot proposals, including one making abortion a state constitutional right. 

Let’s hear from students and faculty on what they think are the crucial issues that voters will decide in the Nov. 8 midterm elections.

“I think that I would say that abortion is a heavy topic right now and gun violence,” said Allison Tan ‘24. “An issue about the people themselves is getting everyone to get out to vote with the right resources and the right display of media and what is told to the public.”

Others also cited voter turnout as a significant issue for the midterm elections.

“The biggest issue surrounding midterm elections and all elections alike is the fact that a lot of people don’t vote,” said Isabella Rivas Ladino ‘25. “The main reason is because both of the candidates are bad but the thing is one of them is going to win and you are still going to be upset and by not voting, you are not contributing to the good of our state or country.”

Another student identified holding candidates accountable once in office as a key concern.

“I think the most important thing for midterm elections for me is that we get a person who wants to make change and keeps their word instead of a person who we elect  and they do the exact opposite of what they said they were going to do,” said Cameron Elliot ‘25.

Several community members discussed the preservation of democracy and reproductive rights as important issues on the ballot for the midterm elections.

“I do feel like democracy is on the ballot, the notion of free and fair elections and protecting the right to vote that John Lewis fought so hard for,” said English teacher Mark Randolph. “[The second] thing is the woman’s right to choose and bodily autonomy. I can remember when Roe v. Wade was decided and it should have been decided law. So for me, it is very important to codify that protection.”

Several students identified similar issues as significant for the midterm elections.

“Democracy really being on the line and also, it is important to question your government constantly to make sure that tyranny is avoided,” said Olivia Emerson ‘23. “I think a lot of people are realizing that Democrats had 50 years to codify Roe and they didn’t. A lot of people are starting to realize that we need some change around here.” 

“When thinking about November 8th, the right to reproductive freedom on the ballot is the most important,” said Maraki Tamrat ‘23. “I think that guaranteeing the fundamental right to reproductive freedom comes in many different forms and stripping the rights away from other individuals is something we should not have control over.”

One  faculty member identified the issue of healthcare access more broadly.

“I think the most important issue heading into midterm elections this election season for me is access to healthcare and making sure that we are prioritizing health care as a human right,” said History teacher Mackenzie Hess.